Tuesday, August 22, 2017

October 1991 - October 2017 ( Going on 26 years )

Wow, it is hard to believe that I started working in the real estate industry back in 1990 with my brother David. He had already been in the market for about 5 years. For the first year my main job was scheduling appointments on the phone with expired listings. I was basically an apprentice for the first few years of my career. For the first couple of years I did everything I could to learn the ins and outs of what it takes to get a home sold and everything behind the scenes. For the most part it was school. That teaching was invaluable to me. Back then, we did not have the internet, email, iPhones or much of the technology we have today. I can remember when the internet was coming to fruition and people were saying that real estate agents would be a thing of the past very soon. How wrong they were. For quite a long time we pulled information up from the MLS from a small machine that looked like a miniature fax machine including the paper the information printed on. I would then need to copy the fax paper on the printer so that I could make calls.  

Today we have so much more technology at our disposal and yet we need the professional services of a realtor more than ever. It is true that information is readily available from the internet. Current listings, many of the sales etc. However, since people buy houses and people sell houses, the need for a professional sales person to make the deal happen is just as important as it was before the internet or the information was available.

I can not imagine that a person selling a 1 million dollar car, a $500,000 watch, a 2 million dollar luxury yacht or a $250,000 diamond ring would simply do it on-line with an on-line algorithm to determine value or that they would look to use the " cheapest " person available. Most would find the best of the best to represent them. The same is true of someone needing medical care. These days’ people can learn quite a bit about medical issues on line. However, that does not take place of the doctor when it is time to get the operation.

Computers are fact driven and that is why they are so exacting. There is definitely a place for those exacting numbers or procedures. Selling homes is akin to someone having a detailed operation. Machines are used in the assistance of the operation. In many cases the machine may do al most all of the work. Under the supervision and direction of the skilled doctor or facilitator. That is what is like to sell a home.

This year I will celebrate 26 years serving clients in my real estate practice. What a pleasure it has been.

If I can assist you give me a call. 408-482-0992...

No comments:

Post a Comment